Most users ever online was 166 on 2016-10-25, 11:39

The most tagged members

BIOS boot usb option not available

liste

帖子数 : 2
    注册日期 : 2017-08-30

BIOS boot usb option not available

Post by liste on 2017-08-30, 02:48

I recently got my GPD pocket with Ubuntu. I notice that there is updated firmware for ubuntu update and try to setup a usb boot drive to upgrade.
    I think the process will require me to change the boot setting to boot from the usb drive so I use ESC open up BIOS to edit my boot sequence. However only see 2 ubuntu options and a UEFI script option. There is no option to boot from USB.

Do I need adjust other setting to enable the UBS boot option? Are there any document on how to update Ubuntu from usb drive for GPD pocket?

Steve

Global88

帖子数 : 3
    注册日期 : 2017-09-04

Re: BIOS boot usb option not available

Post by Global88 on 2017-09-04, 11:53

I had the same problem. The answer is that the BIOS only offers a USB option when a USB drive is inserted into the USB slot. Not really very helpful as it does no remember the selection.

My problem having selected the USB for first boot is that the Pocket will not boot from the USB drive, but goes to the regular log-in screen, even when booting from the USB is selected.

liste

帖子数 : 2
    注册日期 : 2017-08-30

Post by liste on 2017-09-06, 23:54

Thank you for the info. I download the latest Ubuntu firmware from GPD and follow the following link to create a usb bootable stick from windows
    https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

I am able to see the usb drive from BIOS and kick off the install process.

Global88

Post by Global88 on 2017-09-07, 18:24

I received this link through email:

http://forum.gpd.hk/t142-bios-boot-usb-option-not-available#585

Unfortunately following the instructions does not produce a USB drive that is bootable. In the GPD Pocket BIOS the USB drive is recognized as Sandisk Cruzer, but it is prefixed by Android AI. Seems strange that the supposedly bootable Ubutnu disk that was generated on a Windows 10 laptop should have a reference to Android.

But the fact is that the USB drive will not boot on either a Windows 10 PC or the GPD Pocket. It is very frustrating.

Further suggestions appreciated.
    urgno

帖子数 : 7
    注册日期 : 2017-09-07
    地点 : Italy

Post by urgno on 2017-09-07, 19:04

you can try with Rufus
    http://rufus.akeo.ie

Here some screenshot
    https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-make-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-8

Global88

Post by Global88 on 2017-09-10, 16:35

Thanks, but Rufus is recommended in the tutorial. I have tried booting from USB's produced by various programs but none will boot on the GPD Pocket, whereas they working find on other desktops and laptops. Unfortunately my conclusion is that there is something odd about the GPD Pocket that prevents booting from a USB. As I cannot access Windows, I guess the GPD Pocket will have to be returned unless someone has an insight into why the GPD Pocket will not boot from a USB like every other computer.

Grateful for any suggestions.
    urgno

帖子数 : 7
    注册日期 : 2017-09-07
    地点 : Italy

Post by urgno on 2017-09-11, 10:46

I was able to boot a couple of USB pendrive directly from BIOS.

The trick is to have the pendrive inserted at power-on before entering in the bios
    you will see the boot option in last page of bios (attached image)

Of course the pandrive has to be UEFI compliant to be able to boot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2017-09-23, 14:36